2004-11-30

More on Firefox in Netscape

My past post may have been premature; I just read the slashdot article and blogged it out of excitement.
I still haven't tried it yet (not that I intend to after my recent findings).
It appears that even those high on the Mozilla Foundation totem pole, and even some Netscape developers aren't too happy. However, as one slashdotter put it, everything seems to be going just great for AOL, another member of its parent company, Time Warner.
The good news for anyone who's been cool enough to use Mozilla and/or Firfox in the past is that the Mozilla Foundation does have some level of independence from Time Warner. Therefore, I am fairly sure that Netscape 8 code cannot be forced on Mozilla.
In other news, I don't think Mozilla is very far from being based on Firefox and Thunderbird. I'm guessing Mozilla 2.0 will be basically just Mozilla&Thunderbird, with some other stuff, and maybe some new Netscape code. I'm not quite sure why the Mozilla Foundation is pushing Firefox so much though. Firefox 1.0 has a huge hunk of the top of their home page, an the Mozilla "Suite" is only listed as "Other Mozilla Software," below Thunderbird and even Camino (which, IMHO, is one of the most pointless browsers).
We shall see. The firefox "brand name" has gotten very, very big with the release of 1.0 and I'm guessing will soon overtake Mozilla 1.x's market share (if it hasn't already). I don't think it would be a good move for the Mozilla foundation to go back to the Mozilla Suite "brand name," yet some are holding on probably because of the lack of some features in Firefox, namely e-mail (although Thunderbird's eminent 1.0 should fix that, some want "all in one". I would have to disagree. E-mail and "the web" (note the quotes) are two totally different things.).

Expect another post on the matter fairly soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home