2004-11-03

voting in Ohio and Florida questionable

...to say the least.
I've always been against proprietary voting systems. Something as important to a "democracy" as voting systems should be checked by as many people as possible. The cheapest way to do this is make them use open source software. I'd probably set up my own just to mess around with it if I had the source code, but serious developers would probably do more than just look it over.
Sure, you can argue that it would expose a flaw to malicious persons, but the chances of malicious persons finding it and noone else knowing are slim. If a flaw is found, it could be reported by those with good intentions and then it could be fixed so malicious persons wouldn't be able to exploit it.
Read the many comments left on that article for many different sides of story. (Top 3 (in no order) being: the election was fixed; the election wasn't intentionally fixed, but the systems are still messed; there is no question of the fairness of the systems)
BTW: I think it's a bit too late for this, since Kerry already gave up (or maybe it's not official yet?). If it is official and it turns out that Ohio was fixed, some Kerry supporters and Bush haters will be mad pissed.

Too bad the site they linked to wasn't ready to be /.ed. 509ed!!! I'd be interested to see it.

Yes the MTA Metro North stuff is coming.

In other news, I am on the NCC CIT list for 2005.

Also, anyone trying to access my blog earlier today may have had problems because it got partially published, [sarchasm] thanks to the brilliance of our school's proxy. [/sarchasm]

If anyone wants to know why I closed the PDG forums, its because I have too much schoolwork to be able to effectively and completely fulfill my duties as administrator. I figured also that it would remove a potential distraction from others, as everyone has tons of stuff due, not just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home