2005-03-28

CTE Menu nearing base-level functionality, backup server parts all ordered (hopefully)

Almost done with menu thingie....I have suspended coding temporarily because things are getting messy around the auxillary chaching area. I'll review all the code that i have already written, and then write out a plan to interconnect all of that and plans for the yet to be written code.
Once all that is done, I'll be ready to place it in the sandbox. Maybe i'll also release it on sf (probably at same time as aim checker thing)
However the current engine i have is crap (only functionality is to spit out menu XML without processing), and there is a few other misc things i want to do. once i have it to a satisfactory point, i will put it as the "root" on www.ctengel.net and move all development efforts to SF CVS
then comes the flash engine, incl any tweaks to the base that flash may need (i don't forsee anything like that though), and of course misc enhancements, bug/security fixes, and reorganizations
I expect that I will use the flash engine on my site once i have the guessing code working (which is currently not a high priority, but the way that it works with everything else has been arranged)

as far as the backup server, i just ordered 2 Vantec Vortexes and 1 simple 3 1/2" HD-mounted cooler. hopefully that's the last of the parts i need. hopefully i will have time to do all the backup of the first HD in time for those cooling parts. then i'll just install them, and follow TLDP's RAID HOWTO
the reason i didn't go for one of those cool unlatch and then swap tray things (such as vantec's ezswap (EDIT: yes you can get that sort with a temp display)) is that most/all of them will work with just ONE of either paralell or serial ATA (or in some cases, scsi only). The one I got gives me the ability to use a SATA drive sometime in the future.
Oh yeah, if you're wondering why I was able to afford stuff that was that cool, it's because my parents were like, "YO, do that ASAP!" and I was like "well i still can't decide what cooler to use. there is this mad nice one that is my undisputed favorite, but it's a bit pricy." and my dad's like "I don't care. I'll pay for the whole thing. I just want it working by the time ur break is over."
awesome, right? i need to find advantages to my parents for all of my purchases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home