2006-01-18

Linux is Not Windows

Very good article. I suggest that everybody read it, even if you're a guy like me. I disagree with the guy on some points: I think "Linux" might eventually replace Windows on every desktop; I think a big problem is just retraining; some GUIs (not those I would use, but are more Windows-user-friendly) do hide everything and make it like Windows. I think it's possible to almost completely imitate Windows, even the API (WINE), and therefore all of the apps. I think there is a huge space between I want an OS that puts all the power in the hands of the user and expects him to know how to use it and I want Windows without the problems. Now he sort of fills it with I want a replacement for Windows without the problems Mac OS X, which has all of the Unix stuff under-the-hood, but a fantastic GUI. A Windows user still needs to relearn some stuff though. Anyway though, still a good read. Those who know enough about this stuff, like me, can obviously make their own opinions on some of the stuff discussed, and those that don't can still read it, careful to not accept it all as gospel, just because it is unfamiliar. Anyway, good read for everyone, I especially like the windows:linux::car:motorcycle analogy, but windows:mac::car:motorcycle is closer i think. One could argue that each of these is as "user-friendly" as the other, but switching requires a transition. The Windows-to-Linux transition presents two issues: relearning (unless someone makes identical GUI), and getting deeper into the OS (unless you use one of those user-friendly OS's). Much OS-switching (unless we're talking about among Unicies) also requires using different apps, which may be much better on one platform than another, regardless of how good the platform itself is. I don't see how vehicles does this. Like I said, read it. It's long, but worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home