2006-01-18

What's wrong with Microsoft?

Wow another essay by the same guy. This one I pretty much almost entirely agreed with. I suppose it's a problem with most people, but since my grandmother is the only person who I've coached into the "computer box" world, I've only noticed it with her. (By the way, I pushed to put Linux on her computer, again with my logic: She's never touched a PC in her life, why not just install a very user-friendly distro (not necessarily Windows-user-friendly) and have her learn that just like everyone learns how to use Windows.) The one thing I'd add to this essay is that running as non-root is a much better experience on any good Unix box compared with Windows, where loads of software needs Admin priveledges (either because it's poorly designed, or made prior to Windows XP, or maybe because windows makes unpriveledged accounts unnecessarily crippled, or maybe the way windows works means that certian adminny things are more esssential), where similar (even sometimes virtually identical) needs a humble Unix user account. In some extreme cases, similar software can run as nobody. Also, good modern Unix daemons do a great job of just using root when necessary and then dropping root priveledges and chrooting for the majority of their execution. (thereby making flaws in the majority of code mostly harmless).
Anyway, good read for everyone. Helped me realize a big problem, which I had not yet seperated from the "I hate Windows" issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home