2004-12-07

Forums Down

Well this sucks. A huge vulnerability in phpBB.
I could have patched this in an instant on my old server, but it's a bit trickier without SSH.
I still have the entire phpBB tree on the server, in my home directory, just not publically accessible.
I will probably upload the patch and then use my command line thingie, crossing my fingers.
Well I'll do a dry run first; if that works, then I don't need to see the output of the real thing.
With this problem, I have developed a system that allows me to close the forums in about a second by throwing a switch on my cPanel. All requests for the forum area are redirected to that page, then I can post an explanation at my leisure.
Come to think of it, it'll probably be back up tommorrow as long as I don't have much homework AND there are no failed hunks in the patch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home